The practice has been established in Ashby for over 150 years! It was originally located in Wood Street, but in 1994 moved to South Street. In 2017 we moved to Ivanhoe Business Park.
Between 1878 and 1981 it was run by members of the Lake family.
Dates in the Practice’s History:
The first written record of the practice at the Royal Veterinary College was in 1852. It was located at Lorne Hill House in Wood Street, and the vet was William Spencer, who had graduated in 1820.
- 1878 – 1915: Sidney Sturgess MRCVS, who died in 1915.
- 1915 – 1940: Richard George James Lake MRCVS, the son-in-law of Sidney Sturgess. (d.1940)
- 1919: The practice moved across the road to Ivy House, Wood St.
- 1940 – 1981: Derrick Lake MRCVS, the son of Richard Lake. (d. 1991)
- 1953: John Tuckey joined the practice. He subsequently became a partner, and in 1981 became practice principal.
- 1950’s: The practice moved to Ivy House stable block, now called Herriot House.
- 1989: David Woodward joined the practice. In 1993 he became practice principal. At this stage the practice was a traditional mixed practice, mostly farm and equine, with some small animal work. The practice employed 1.5 Vets, 1 Nurse and 1 Receptionist!
- 1991: 8 Chapel Street in Measham was acquired, and a branch surgery opened there.
- 1994: The practice moved to South Street.
- 1995: The practice gave up it’s large animal work to become purely small animal.
- 1995: 3 Burton Road in Woodville was acquired, and a second branch surgery was opened.
- 1998 – 2007: Nina Coulthurst MRCVS was a practice partner.
- 2005: Fairhaven in South Street was acquired and converted into an administration block, with facilities for the staff.
- January 2008: Practice renamed to become ‘Woodward Veterinary Practice Ltd’
- February 2008: ‘Ambulance’ brought to offer home visits and a collection/delivery service
- June 2012: New theatre suite built
- December 2014: Closure of Woodville Surgery
June 2015 : Planning permission accepted for the building of our new surgery on Ivanhoe Business Park, Ashby.
January 2016: Building work started on our new surgery at Ivanhoe Business Park, Ashby.
April 2016: New Van to provide an improved delivery service.
March 2017: Moved into our new purpose built premises
Currently our team consists of six dedicated veterinary surgeons, assisted by our nine caring qualified and trainee veterinary nurses along with our compassionate and efficient reception and admin team.