Your feline friends are important to us which is why Woodward Vets have recognised that a trip to the vets can be stressful for both cats and their owners.
We have put in place facilities and ways of working, in order to make your visit to the vet as stress-free as possible by understanding that cats have different conditions, temperaments, and personalities to their canine counterparts and therefore need to be handled and treated differently.
Cat Friendly Accredited Vet
Here a Woodward Veterinary Practice we are proud to have been recognised and accredited as a gold-level cat friendly clinic and members of the ISFM (International Society of Feline Medicine). This means on top of all the great things our modern practice provides, we also offer additional outstanding facilities at our specialist cat friendly clinic.
Working closely with International Cat Care (ICC) we looked at how we could make Woodward Veterinary Practice the best it could possibly be for our feline patients by understanding they are sensitive to changes in their environment and recommending measures you can take to make your cats journey to the vets and their visit to Woodwards Veterinary Practice a less stressful experience than anticipated.
In order to achieve our Cat Friendly Clinic accreditation, we have had to meet carefully selected criteria stipulated by ICC.
We have demonstrated that we:
l data-leveltext="" " " " " ">" ">"nderstand the needs of cats and strive to make visits to the vet clinic cat friendly
l data-leveltext="" " " " " ">" ">"pproach and handle cats gently and with care through ongoing staff education
l data-leveltext="" " " " " ">" ">"ollow the ISFM Feline Friendly Handling and Nursing Care guidelines and have made the pledge to be ‘Scruff free’
l data-leveltext="" " " " " ">" ">"ave invested in equipment to manage the specific care requirements of cats
l data-leveltext="" " " " " ">" ">"ave an appointed Cat Advocate member of staff to implement and oversee our cat friendly clinic status
(source – catfriendlyclinic.org)
Our Cat Friendly Clinic Facilities
- A spacious, quiet, off-street car park allowing you to transport your cat to our reception area with minimal stress
- A friendly welcome at reception, with the option of placing your cat carrier at a higher level, out of sight of other animals
- A separate waiting area for cats that has visual barriers to the rest of the waiting room, allowing your cat to relax in his or her carrier
- A privacy cover towel for your cat’s basket can be provided if required.
- Surgical facilities and instruments which cater for the smaller anatomy that cats have, including a dental suite with radiography
- A modern, separate cat-friendly ward - with dimmable lighting
- Large kennels with clear fronts which provide a spacious, safe and warm environment
- Kennels laid out to prevent the sight of other cats
- Hiding spaces provided for privacy and to provide a higher place to perch
- A range of cosy and comfortable bedding. You are also welcome to leave your own bedding that smells of your home
- A variety of food and cat litter types provided to mimic the home environment as close as possible
- Cat-friendly toys to provide stimulation while hospitalised
- Species-specific radio played to provide relaxing sounds that have a calming effect on your cat
- The use of feline pheromone diffusers to help calm and reassure cats
- A quiet examination table to allow assessment of inpatients
- Diagnostic imaging facilities so investigations can be undertaken on site
- Excellent surgical facilities for your cats
- A range of equipment such as blood pressure monitors and cat specific weighing scales to provide a high level of care to our feline patients
- Isolation ward for management of infectious cases.
Cat friendly kennels with a hiding place
Separate cat waiting area